Dolmades are a little bite of heaven, traditionally made throughout the Mediterranean and a staple on Greek tables when it comes to meze, throughout the year. They make a great vegetarian appetizer as they are made from tender vine leaves wrapped into little rolls and stuffed with rice and fresh herbs.
The Greek dolmades are the most worldwide famous stuffed grape leaves rolls! These delicious roulades filled with a traditionally vegan mix of rice, onions, and herbs, are popular, with some variations, not only in Greece, but also in several other regions of the Middle Eastern, Turkic, and Balkans areas.
This recipe is an authentic Greek dolmades recipe that you can recreate from scratch. These extra juicy stuffed dolmades, which are often part of a meze platter, are the ultimate mini appetizer! It’s definitely one of our favorite bites to eat! You can easily find Dolmades online to purchase from The Greek Deli here if you want to skip out on the fun. But if you’re feeling up to the challenge, homemade dolmades are full of taste and really easy to make with The GreekDeli’s step by step recipe
So let’s have a look at a simple yet delicious recipe, that will allow you to impress your family and visitors, with traditional dolma meze, made by your own hands.
Ingredients you’ll need
- 60 vine leaves, drained and rinsed
- 250g rice (1 cup)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups warm water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsps dill, chopped
- 1/2 a cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- STEP 1 – To make these delicious Greek dolmades, start by preparing the vine leaves. For this dolmades recipe, vine leaves sold in jars or fresh vines leaves can be used. If using vines from a jar, rinse the vine leaves, remove the stems and leave them in a colander to drain. For fresh vine leaves, wash then remove the stems and blanch them in boiling hot water. Using a slotted spoon, remove the leaves and place them in a colander to cool down completely.
- STEP 2 – Prepare the filling for the stuffed dolmades by placing the rice in a colander and rinse under running water. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add 1/3 of the olive oil and chopped onions. Sauté the onions until they become translucent in color. Next, add the rice and sauté for a further minute. Pour in 2 cups of warm water, half lemon juice, and simmer for 7 minutes. You will need to do this until the rice absorbs all the water and is parboiled. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the herbs, remove from the stove, and set aside to cool down for a brief period. You have now made the filling for the dolmades.
- STEP 3 – Layer the bottom of a large pot with some vine leaves, torn leaves are fine to use, and start rolling the dolmadakia. Place one vine leaf (shiny side down) on a flat surface and add 1 tsp of the filling at the bottom end. Try not to overfill the dolmades, as during cooking the rice will eXpand. Fold the lower end of the leaf over the filling towards the center; bring the two sides in towards the center and roll them up tightly. Place the stuffed vine leaves on the bottom of the pot, ensuring the fold side is facing downwards, and continue to place more on top in tight layers. Make sure not to leave any gaps between the dolmades as this will prevent them from cracking open when cooking.
- STEP 4 – Drizzle the stuffed vine leaves with the remaining olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Place an inverted plate on top to hold them down when cooking and pour in enough water just to cover them. Place the lid on and simmer the dolmades for about 30-40 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the dolmades remain only with the oil.
- STEP 5 – Remove the pot from the heat, take the lid off, and plate. Allow the dolmades to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- STEP 6 – Serve this delicious homemade Greek appetizer cold or at room temperature with a dash of lemon and enjoy!.
Nonetheless, if all the above sounds like too much of a Kerfuffle to you, then you can always try our delicious, homemade dolmades by simply clicking on the link provided here. These beautiful dolmades are cooked with the most selected ingredients: a fantastic blend of “carolina” rice mixed with onions, parsley, and dill is stirred fried with vegetable oil topped with lemon juice and then hand-rolled in steamed fresh, tender Cretan vine leaves.
Enjoy them at room temperature, served with a dollop of yoghurt and remember..They are also suitable for vegetarians!
The Greek Deli stocks artisanal products, including olive oils, wines, cheeses, mezedes, ready meals (such as pastitsio and gemista), sweets (such as baklava and kourabiedes), and Greek coffee (Loumidis). They even stock beloved Greek chocolates and cookies such as Lacta, Ion, Sokofreta, and Gemista cookies, as well as an impressive selection of Greek wines. Also on sale are gift boxes, which can either be customized with your favorite products or pre-made (one box includes extra virgin olive oil, two bottles of wine, two jars of olive paste, roasted peppers, honey, chilies, and balsamic vinegar—perfect for sending the best of Greek tastes to a distant beloved!).
Accompanied by the very best of what Greek nature has to offer, we find our way into your homes and into your hearts. The Greek Deli has maximized our efforts so our deliveries are swift and provided in a safe and hygienic manner!
We’d love to hear your view so do not hesitate to contact us, subscribe to this blog for free, click here to place an order, or send us your favorite recipes.