Kontosouvli is a delicious Greek tradition that’s full of flavour and fun to eat. This is usually cooked on a big skewer cooked on a spit turning over hot coals. Many different meats can be used, including pork and liver. Here we give you a nice recipe that you can make at home for a juicy Greek roasted chicken kontosouvli.
- 600 g chicken leg fillet
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp strained yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Yellow Peppers
- 1 Green Peppers
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp grated thyme
- Cut the chicken into 4 cm pieces.
- Cut the peppers and onion into 4 cm pieces.
- Spread the chopped chicken on the workbench and season with salt and pepperIn a large bowl make the marinade, put all the ingredients (olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, wine, yogurt, garlic, smoked paprika and grated thyme) mix.
- Add the chopped chicken leg and mix well.
- Pass the marinated pieces of chicken on the skewers, alternating between a piece of pepper (one of each colour) and a piece of onion.
- When finished, put them in the fridge.
- It would be good to leave them in the fridge for an hour before baking (uncovered to dry).
- Preheat the oven to 200oC in air and up and down resistances.
- Bake the skewers in a deep pan (30 cm long and 25 cm wide) with a little water, resting on both ends of the pan on both ends of the chicken skewers and so the skewers will be cooked without touching the pan, alternately rest on the grill of the oven and place the pan underneath.
- Bake for about 15 minutes on each side.
- Serve with pitta bread, Tzatziki, sliced tomatoes, red onions and shredded romaine lettuce leaves.
The Greek Deli
Visit our dedicated e-shop for delicious Greek food items available both for cooking as well as immediate consumption. The Greek Deli stocks artisanal products, including Greek juices, tsoureki, egg dyes, olive oils, wines, cheeses, and mezedes. In addition, ready meals (such as pastitsio and gemista), sweets (such as baklava and kourabiedes), and Greek coffee (Loumidis) can be found in our online shop. We even stock beloved Greek chocolates and cookies. Furthermore, brands such as Lacta, Ion, Sokofreta, and Gemista cookies, as well as an impressive selection of Greek wines. You can purchase and customise our unique Greek gift boxes, with your favourite products or pre-made. One box includes extra virgin olive oil, two bottles of wine and two jars of olive paste. Along with roasted peppers, honey, chilies, and balsamic vinegar. Perfect for sending the best of Greek tastes to a distant beloved!).
Accompanied by the very best of what Greek nature has to offer. We find our way into your homes and into your hearts. The Greek Deli has maximized our efforts so our deliveries are swift and provided in a safe and hygienic manner!
We’d love to hear your view so do not hesitate to contact us, subscribe to this blog for free, click here to place an order, or send us your favourite recipes.