We are pleased to announce the introduction of Nissos beers to our website and online shop, here at the Greek Deli.
The Cyclades Microbrewery on Tinos was started from zero in 2012, in the midst of Greece’s financial crisis by Alexandros and Maya Kouris, company owners. Instead of acting as a deterrent, the crisis actually spurred them into action, for they were convinced that the bleak domestic beer landscape was symptomatic of the country’s woes. In their view, the fact that 9 out of 10 beers consumed in Greece were made by non-Greek multinationals was (and still is) quite unpalatable; as unpalatable as the bland, mass-produced beers flooding the country, with quite a few sporting a “catchy” Greek name.
So, they decided to change all this, believing – like the great Frank Zappa – that “You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline— it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.”
All-natural artisanal beers with unique flavors
Artisanal, unpasteurized NISSOS beers are brewed and bottled in small quantities. They are made from finest quality malts, aromatic hops and carefully selected yeast in a slow, traditional, all-natural brewing and fermentation process. NISSOS beers are full of exciting flavors and alluring aromas! They contain absolutely no preservatives or additives and are naturally carbonated. They are made in 7 steps to ensure quality and taste is unaffected and the best possible:
1. Milling: We mill top quality malted grains.
2. Mashing: The grist is mixed with heated water in the “mash tun”. Natural enzymes within the malt break down much of the starch into sugars.
3. Lautering: The resulting liquid, the wort, is strained from the grain which is given away to farmers for feeding their cattle!
4. Βoiling: The wort is channeled into the “boiling tun”. Noble hops are added during this step. Hops add flavor, aroma and bitterness.
5. Fermentation: The wort is then moved into temperature controlled cylindrical-conical tanks where yeast is added. Yeast converts naturally, sugars from the malt into alcohol and CO2.
6. Lagering: the beer is allowed to rest. Fermentation and Lagering last over a month.
7. Filtering: organic earth filters are used to give NISSOS its brilliance
We are pleased to be able to offer 2 of their delicious and refreshing beers, the Organic and Pilsner Nissos Beers.
Pure, crisp, clear and bright. Evoking a sense of perpetual motion, natural freshness and euphoria. Brewed with organic barley malts using classic maturation techniques. Cold fermentation creating a clean base that allows the aromas from the three different noble hops to shine through. This high quality, mild, European-style Pilsner is ideal for any occasion, day or night.
The first Greek beer to be awarded a silver European Beer Star (2014). Edgy and refreshing, with a perfect mouthfeel, this balanced and exceptionally full-bodied Pilsner tantalizes the taste buds and leaves you wanting more. The liquid quintessence of Aegean island living and Cycladic magic in a bottle.
Last but not least, NISSOS beers contain absolutely no preservatives or additives and are naturally carbonated.
To protect sensory experience, we stabilize NISSOS using microfiltration instead of pasteurization.
We’d love to hear your view so do not hesitate to contact us, subscribe to this blog for free, click here to place an order or send us your favourite recipes.