Greek Pita bread is one of the most ancient known bread. It is a staple in Mediterranean cuisine and has been for over 4,000 years. Traditionally, Greek Pita was prepared with barley flour, and later with other cereals. It is a round, flat wheat flour bread that often has a hollow interior or pocket.
In Greece you will find that pita bread is an unique element on the table, served along with appetizers like Melitzanosalata, Greek Salad, and Tzatziki, or filled with Souvlaki and Gyros.
If you love the taste of warm fresh pita bread we have just the recipe for you. Our homemade recipe is fluffy, soft and authentic to the taste. Keep reading below to learn how to make your own batch of Greek pita bread at home!
- 530g strong white bread flour or 50% white and 50% whole-wheat flour
- 375ml Lukewarm
- 3 tsp dry instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a bowl, add the yeast, sugar and water and blend together. Then leave to set for 10 minutes until yeast froths.
- Next add the flour, salt and mix by hand for 8 minutes, until the dough is elastic and a little sicky.
- Coat the dough with olive oil, place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Leave to rest in a warm place for at least 25 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove dough from the bowl and split into 6 evenly sized balls around 145g each.
- Leave the pita bread balls aside to rest for 15 minutes before shaping.
- Form the pita bread to about 20cm in diameter using either a rolling pin, creating a crunchier pita, or by hand stretching, for a softer, fluffier version. Then use a fork to make some holes on top.
- Heat a non-sticking frying pan to medium heat with a little bit of olive oil and wipe off any excess. Bake each pita bread for about 3 minutes on each side, until slightly coloured and still soft.
- To give you pita bread more colour, push it lightly with a wooden spoon on the pan.
We hope you have enjoyed our easy to follow Greek Pita bread recipe. Give it a go for yourself and don’t forget to comment and let us know how much you enjoyed making your own homemade Greek pita.
The Greek Deli
Visit our dedicated e-shop and check out our plethora of delicious Greek food items available both for cooking as well as immediate consumption. The Greek Deli stocks artisanal products, including Greek juices, tsoureki, egg dyes, olive oils, wines, cheeses, and mezedes. In addition, ready meals (such as pastitsio and gemista), sweets (such as baklava and kourabiedes), and Greek coffee (Loumidis) can be found in our online shop. We even stock beloved Greek chocolates and cookies. Furthermore, brands such as Lacta, Ion, Sokofreta, and Gemista cookies, as well as an impressive selection of Greek wines. You can purchase and customise our unique Greek gift boxes, with your favourite products or pre-made. One box includes extra virgin olive oil, two bottles of wine and two jars of olive paste. Along with roasted peppers, honey, chilies, and balsamic vinegar. Perfect for sending the best of Greek tastes to a distant beloved!).
Accompanied by the very best of what Greek nature has to offer, we find our way into your homes and into your hearts. The Greek Deli has maximized our efforts so our deliveries are swift and provided in a safe and hygienic manner!
We’d love to hear your view so do not hesitate to contact us, subscribe to this blog for free, click here to place an order, or send us your favourite recipes.