The Greek meatballs, keftedes, are a famously delicious dish. Commonly served as part of a meze alongside a variety of sauces and pita bread. Keftedes can also be enjoyed as part of a main meal often accompanied, by a Greek feta salad and/or rice.
We have created our own, easy to prepare keftedes recipe that you can try from the comfort of your home. Keep reading on to find out how you can make this traditional Greek recipe.
- 700g ground beef & Pork
- 1 medium red onion, grated
- 1 medium clove of garlic, minced
- 150g stale bread
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh spearmint
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Flour for dredging
- Add all the ingredients into a large bowl then mix well for at least 5 minutes. Ensure to squeeze well with your hands to allow the flavours to blend. The cover the bowl with cling film and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Take the mixture out of the fridge and roll into meatballs the size of a walnut. Next, dredge the rolled meatballs lightly in the flour ensuring to shake off any excess.
- Fry the meatballs in a pan until nicely browned on all sides. This should be done in batches of 10-15 at a time.
- An alternative to frying the keftedes is to bake or grill them in the oven. Preheat the oven at 200C and place the unfloured keftedes on greased baking sheet about an inch apart. Let them bake for about 20 minutes, turning the meatballs upside down midway through cooking time.
- Once your Keftedes are cooked, enjoy them as part of a meze with some creamy tzatziki sauce and pita breads. Or why not try as a main course with a Greek salad.
We hope you have enjoyed following our easy to make Keftedes recipe. Let us know how yours turned out by leaving us a comment below!
The Greek Deli
Visit our dedicated e-shop and check out our plethora of delicious Greek food items available both for cooking as well as immediate consumption. The Greek Deli stocks artisanal products, including Greek juices, tsoureki, egg dyes, olive oils, wines, cheeses, and mezedes. In addition, ready meals (such as pastitsio and gemista), sweets (such as baklava and kourabiedes), and Greek coffee (Loumidis) can be found in our online shop. We even stock beloved Greek chocolates and cookies. Furthermore, brands such as Lacta, Ion, Sokofreta, and Gemista cookies, as well as an impressive selection of Greek wines. You can purchase and customise our unique Greek gift boxes, with your favourite products or pre-made. One box includes extra virgin olive oil, two bottles of wine and two jars of olive paste. Along with roasted peppers, honey, chilies, and balsamic vinegar. Perfect for sending the best of Greek tastes to a distant beloved!).
Accompanied by the very best of what Greek nature has to offer, we find our way into your homes and into your hearts. The Greek Deli has maximized our efforts so our deliveries are swift and provided in a safe and hygienic manner!
We’d love to hear your view so do not hesitate to contact us, subscribe to this blog for free, click here to place an order, or send us your favourite recipes.