Greek lentil soup (Fakes soup) is one of the most popular winter Greek dishes, and with good reason! It is high in nutritional value, simple to prepare with an exquisite taste, this traditional Greek dish is the best way to promote healthier eating habits for you and your family!
Our recipe is easy to make with a few ingredients and is a hearty and comforting meal for the whole family. So go ahead and discover how to make yours to perfection with the Greek Deli recipe.
You will need to prepare the lentils before making the soup in order for them to soften up and become deliciously creamy once cooked. You can either wash and soak them in water for 2 hours before starting the soup. Alternatively, you can add them to a large pan with water and cook them on high heat until the water boils and then drain the water. Skipping this all important step will make your lentils stay quite hard in the soup!
- 500g brown lentils
- 5 cups of water
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the Greek lentil soup recipe, place the lentils first in a sieve and wash thoroughly with running water. Then add the lentils to a bowl and let them soak in water for about 2 hours.
- Place a pan over medium-low heat and add the lentils. slightly warm water , chopped onions, chopped garlic and the bay leaves. Allow this to simmer with the lid on for around 30 minutes.
- Next you will need to pour in the olive oil, red wine vinegar, along with salt and pepper to taste. If you would like your lentils to have a red appearance, add in 1 tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Keep boiling the lentil soup for another 20 minutes, until it thickens and check out if they are cooked.
- Serve this tasty Greek lentil soup with a dash of red wine vinegar and a light drizzle of olive oil. Top if off with some crumbled feta cheese and enjoy!
The Greek Deli
Visit our dedicated e-shop and check out our plethora of delicious Greek food items available both for cooking as well as immediate consumption. The Greek Deli stocks artisanal products, including Greek juices, tsoureki, egg dyes, olive oils, wines, cheeses, and mezedes. In addition, ready meals (such as pastitsio and gemista), sweets (such as baklava and kourabiedes), and Greek coffee (Loumidis) can be found in our online shop. We even stock beloved Greek chocolates and cookies. Furthermore, brands such as Lacta, Ion, Sokofreta, and Gemista cookies, as well as an impressive selection of Greek wines. You can purchase and customise our unique Greek gift boxes, with your favourite products or pre-made. One box includes extra virgin olive oil, two bottles of wine and two jars of olive paste. Along with roasted peppers, honey, chilies, and balsamic vinegar. Perfect for sending the best of Greek tastes to a distant beloved!).
Accompanied by the very best of what Greek nature has to offer, we find our way into your homes and into your hearts. The Greek Deli has maximized our efforts so our deliveries are swift and provided in a safe and hygienic manner!
We’d love to hear your view so do not hesitate to contact us, subscribe to this blog for free, click here to place an order, or send us your favourite recipes.