Saganaki is a very popular Greek appetizer of pan-seared Greek cheese served alongside lemon wedges. It is golden and crispy on the outside whilst being soft and melted on the inside. The word ‘Saganaki’ can refer to various Greek appetizers, which are prepared in a small frying pan called a saganaki. One of the most common traditional Greek recipes cooked in this kind includes feta saganaki, mussels saganaki, shrimp saganaki, with the most popular being this simple and delicious cheese saganaki recipe. It is most commonly served as a delicious starter to go along with a traditional Greek meal or meze.
Before attempting to make this recipe, it’s particularly important to pick the right kind of cheese. The cheeses which are used in Greece to make traditional Greek saganaki are graviera, kefalograviera and kefalotyri. These are medium hardness yellow cheeses with a mild nutty flavour.
Greek cheese Saganaki is best enjoyed hot while still melty on the inside. Serve this delicious traditional Greek meze with a last minute squeeze of a lemon and a side helping of Greek salad or crusty bread.
- 110g cheese (Graviera),kefalograviera, kefalotyri
- 50g plain flour, for dredging
- oil for frying
- 1/2 lemon
- To prepare this saganaki recipe, slice a large block of cheese approx. 10 by 7cm and 1,5 cm thick. If the cheese is cut to thin, the saganaki will melt into the pan.
- Place the cheese under running cold water and then dredge into the flour, shaking off any excess flour. This will help the saganaki form a nice golden crust and to hold its shape when fried.
- Into a small heavy-bottomed pan add some oil. Once heated, add the cheese and fry for a few minutes on both sides, flipping the saganaki carefully with a spatula to avoid removing any of the crust. Keep this on the pan until both sides of the curst is nicely golden in colour.
- Serve this delicious Greek cheese saganaki while still smoking hot. Squeeze some lemon juice on top before eating and enjoy!
The Greek Deli
Visit our dedicated e-shop for delicious Greek food items available both for cooking as well as immediate consumption. The Greek Deli stocks artisanal products, including Greek juices, tsoureki, egg dyes, olive oils, wines, cheeses, and mezedes. In addition, ready meals (such as pastitsio and gemista), sweets (such as baklava and kourabiedes), and Greek coffee (Loumidis) can be found in our online shop. We even stock beloved Greek chocolates and cookies. Furthermore, brands such as Lacta, Ion, Sokofreta, and Gemista cookies, as well as an impressive selection of Greek wines. You can purchase and customise our unique Greek gift boxes, with your favourite products or pre-made. One box includes extra virgin olive oil, two bottles of wine and two jars of olive paste. Along with roasted peppers, honey, chilies, and balsamic vinegar. Perfect for sending the best of Greek tastes to a distant beloved!).
Accompanied by the very best of what Greek nature has to offer. We find our way into your homes and into your hearts. The Greek Deli has maximized our efforts so our deliveries are swift and provided in a safe and hygienic manner!
We’d love to hear your view so do not hesitate to contact us, subscribe to this blog for free, click here to place an order, or send us your favourite recipes.