Briam is a traditional Greek dish of mixed chunks of vegetables cooked in olive oil. This particular dish belongs to the lathera family, which are a group of mainly vegetarian foods cooked in plenty of extra virgin olive oil. Briam is filled with crispy and fluffy potatoes, sweet and flavourful aubergines, and juicy zucchinis garnished with herbs. Essentially this can be comparable as the Greek version of ratatouille. When all ingredients are combined, it forms an excellent dish complete with Mediterranean flavours. Not only is this a health meal, it is also a great source of antioxidants and fiber. Plus you’re getting all the good fats from the extra virgin olive oil. If you’re in a hurry but still want to sample this delicious dish, why not purchase are ready made briam from our online shop!
Our easy and delicious briam recipe is so easy to follow with no complicated steps or procedures. Take a look below to check out the key steps and preparations required. If there is one thing not to substitute in this dish, it’s the amount of extra virgin olive oil. This is where the flavor comes from and extra virgin olive oil makes the vegetables taste delicious. In addition, we recommend enjoying your briam with a slice of feta and crusty bread to soak up the oil and tomato juices.
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, chopped (or 3-4 tins of plum tomatoes)
- 1/3 kg potatoes, sliced
- 1/2 kg aubergines, sliced
- 1/2 kg zucchinis (courgettes), sliced
- 3/4 of a cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- The first step is to prepare all vegetables. Peel and cut the potatoes in slices. Wash thoroughly the courgettes and aubergines and slice into thin 1cm slices. As an alternative, the vegetable can be cut into chunks. Next peel the tomatoes and cut into thin slices or chunks.
- Prepare a large baking pan to bake the briam, approx. 30*35cm, so the vegetables are not layered too deep.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with sliced tomatoes and season well. Then place on top the sliced vegetables and season. Sprinkle with the onion, garlic and top with the rest of the tomatoes. Once layered, season again well, garnish with chopped parsley and drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil.
- Cover the briam with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven at 200C for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Halfway through cooking time remove the foil, toss the vegetables and continue baking until nicely coloured.
- Serve this traditional Greek briam dish with salty feta cheese and lots of crusty bread.
We hope you enjoyed are simple and easy to prepare recipe. Give it a try and let us know how much you enjoyed making your own at home.
The Greek Deli
Visit our dedicated e-shop for delicious Greek food items available both for cooking as well as immediate consumption. The Greek Deli stocks artisanal products, including Greek juices, tsoureki, egg dyes, olive oils, wines, cheeses, and mezedes. In addition, ready meals (such as pastitsio and gemista), sweets (such as baklava and kourabiedes), and Greek coffee (Loumidis) can be found in our online shop. We even stock beloved Greek chocolates and cookies. Furthermore, brands such as Lacta, Ion, Sokofreta, and Gemista cookies, as well as an impressive selection of Greek wines. You can purchase and customise our unique Greek gift boxes, with your favourite products or pre-made. One box includes extra virgin olive oil, two bottles of wine and two jars of olive paste. Along with roasted peppers, honey, chilies, and balsamic vinegar. Perfect for sending the best of Greek tastes to a distant beloved!).
Accompanied by the very best of what Greek nature has to offer. We find our way into your homes and into your hearts. The Greek Deli has maximized our efforts so our deliveries are swift and provided in a safe and hygienic manner!
We’d love to hear your view so do not hesitate to contact us, subscribe to this blog for free, click here to place an order, or send us your favourite recipes.
You can also follow our social media profiles on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!